Thursday, October 6, 2011

a cup of coffee is like a hug

yes, you read right. in my mind...a cup of coffee is like a hug. there's just something about holding the warm mug of dark, strong liquid that warms the soul and makes me feel giddy. I guess I could relate it to a first date as well, but I've never been on one so I wouldn't know if that would be the right simile to use, hence the no experience part.

but back to the coffee part. I wrote a poem back when I was in grade eight when I first started drinking coffee. is it sad to say how addicted I was at "such a young age"? here, I'll post it for you to judge for yourselves.


Coffee...a cup of delusional happiness,
a mental high and an emotional lift.
A wake-up alarm clock,
a drug to keep you going.

Coffee...a drink of heavenly bliss,
leaving you in a cloud of daze,
all the while thinking of everything and nothing...
at the very same time.

You might be mad or possibly sad,
angry and frustrated all in one.
But a simple cup of joe
can melt every single problem away.

Every feeling and every touch
will be a tingly sensation,
brought to your tongue by a single drop...
of coffee.

Each day you get up, pour yourself a mug,
and realize you should have stayed in bed.
But all the while thinking that if you would have...
you wouldn't be mesmerized by your succulent cup of coffee.

only now do I realize how sad it is that I wrote that in grade eight. I should be writing it now, while in grade twelve. but really, that's how I feel still while drinking a cup of coffee. I just bought one before on my way home from last class, and even though it is the mcdonald's coffee that is all over the world, there is some slight wonderfulness inside of it. it is still coffee.

as I swallow each sip I'm kinda lost for a bit, mostly because I'm concentrating, but also because it's just so good. I've never felt this way with tea before. tea seems like a drink that you need to proper around (as if it has feelings). I still love the taste of tea, but I can't ever imagine myself curling up on the couch on a rainy/snowy/windy/cold/bad day with a cup of tea and feel the same warmth inside of me (not the literal one, the figurative...tea is definitely still very warm).

so, I don't really know where I'm going with this. I just felt like writing about something and the song I'm listening to -Paradise by Coldplay- makes me feel like having another cup and writing. so that I did.

a cup of coffee is like a hug. not because it can grow arms and wrap around you, but because it fills you with something that words can't always. it fills you and nurtures you until you're ready to face the world with whatever passion that's surfaced inside of you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...